Having insomnia is no walk in the park. Taking hours to sleep or easily waking up in the middle of the night can make you feel groggy and unfocused throughout the day. While healthy sleep hygiene is a must, there are other natural sleeping aids which can help you out, without the side effects! But what are the top herbal remedies for insomnia to take note of?
For those having a difficult time figuring out what they should invest into sleep better, read on as I show you seven of the best natural herbal remedies to help you out.
Before we talk about herbal remedies, let's first tackle what insomnia is and what causes it.
Insomnia is a persistent disorder which makes it difficult to fall asleep or to stay asleep, sometimes both. Many people have experienced insomnia throughout their lives, with millions of Americans suffering every night.
Those who have chronic insomnia are more likely to be at risk of various health complications, such as depression, high blood pressure, obesity, heart disease, and more. While medication can help with your sleep, it usually just masks the real cause of sleeplessness.
The primary symptom of insomnia is not being able to sleep or having trouble staying asleep. If you wake up multiple times throughout the night or take hours to finally rest, then chances are you have insomnia.
So why does insomnia happen?
There are some causes, including certain sicknesses which can keep you up at night. Chronic pain and poor lifestyle habits can add to your sleep deprivation. Stress, poor work schedules, lousy sleep hygiene, or even your diet affects the way you sleep. Other times, it can come from psychological issues such as mental illnesses or recent traumatic events. That's why it's crucial to keep a healthy lifestyle to ensure a full eight hours of quality sleep.
Seven Herbal Remedies For Insomnia
Now that you know what insomnia is and what causes it, what are some natural remedies that can help prevent this from occurring? Here are seven of the common herbal remedies to take note of:
This is one of the most common herbs people use to help with sleep. It's a dried plant which is used as a calming agent, reducing the time needed to fall asleep. It also helps increase the quality and duration of one's sleep.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne, Clive Owen (Actors)
- Luc Besson (Director) - Luc Besson (Writer) - Fanny Besson (Producer)
- Carlyle's Valerian Root is a 1200 mg formula delivered to you in convenient, quick-release pills
- Valerian Root can also be used in tinctures, tablets, liquids, gummies, bulk powder and loose tea
- Similar to melatonin, valerian is commonly used among dogs, cats and horses
You can find Valerian in capsule form, taking four capsules about an hour before bedtime. But you should make sure that you do not take it for more than three weeks at most to avoid getting used to it.
This is another sedative herb that works best when combined with Valerian. Both of these herbs are proven to be safe and mild, used for other types of sleep issues. You can also pair hops and valerian with melatonin for even better effects.
- Nature's Way Hops Flowers - 100 Capsules
- 100 V-Capsules
- Serving Size: 2 capsules
- Servings Per Container: 50
Another quick fact: Hops is also used in the process of beer making but are also accessible for its sedative effects and medicinal purposes! So there's no worry about getting drunk or dependent on this plant.
The passionflower is a beautiful plant and known as a useful aid to calm one's mind and increase relaxation. It's been used for a long time to help with mental stress and slow down the "running mind." In the past, it was also used as a stress reliever and stress aid. There have been studies that even prove the sedative properties of the plant, especially when it is combined with other useful and calming herbs.
- Calming, soothing and without caffeine
- 100% Natural
- Improves Sleep Quality.
- Calming, soothing and without caffeine
- 100% Natural
- Improves Sleep Quality.
Lavender is another favorite tonic that helps with the nervous system. It's known to help with sleep disorders thanks to its calming effects. What's great about this herb is that you can either consume it as a tea or use it as an essential oil, either massaging it to your skin, putting it in your baths, or use an oil diffuser.
- DELICIOUS FLAVOR – Organic Lavender Tea features an earthy, unique, and subtle flavor that makes it easy to drink and...
- HEALTH BENEFITS – Organic Lavender Tea boasts many health benefits, including supporting healthy sleep patterns, brain...
- ORGANIC – This organic tea is made with no artificial flavors, preservatives, additives, or GMOs. Packed in...
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC LAVENDER FLOWERS (EXTRA GRADE) - 4oz Resealable Bag
- IMPORTED 100% RAW FROM FRANCE - This bag contains certified organic, 100% raw lavender flowers from the fields of...
- HEALTHY & DELICIOUS - Relax your body and your mind by adding a dose of lavender into your day. Enhance your favorite...
I would recommend that you drink two to three cups of lavender tea daily or add ten drops of its oil to your baths or when massaging.
5. California Poppy
If you haven't heard of the California Poppy yet, these are small plants that have fern-like foliage and flowers which strive even during dry conditions. They aren't only good sources of food but have potent medical properties, helping with headaches, toothaches, and most importantly, used as a potent sedative to ease insomnia and anxiety. It's safe to use that even children can consume it without the side effects.
- Promotes relaxation
- Restful sleep
- Helps with pain and discomfort
- Expertly extracted to provide calming support to the nervous system.
- Prepared from certified organic, fresh whole Eschschoizia californica plants grown on our own southern Oregon farms.
- Gluten-free and non-GMO.
6. Kava Kava
Kava Kava is Fiji's national drink, popular in the South Seas. This is because it gives a calming feeling while relaxing your body. The drink can also enhance your dreams and form of communication but is mostly used to treat fatigue or sleeplessness. I recommend that you take two to three cups of Kava tea a day or three to four drops as a tincture thrice a day.
- Flavor: Yogi Kava Stress Relief tea is a naturally spicy-sweet and warming blend of Kava, Cinnamon, Indian Sarsaparilla...
- Benefits: Kava, traditionally used for its power to calm the body and mind; combines with warming spices to help support...
- Organic: Made with Organic Carob Pod and Non-GMO Project Verified.
- Kava Kava Root Tea - PURE HERBAL TEA SERIES
- Pure, No Fillers. All-Natural, Non-GMO, Organically Grown, Responsibly Harvested. Caffeine-Free, Sugar-Free
- Each made-to-order package contains 30 handcrafted tea bags. (1.5g each, 45g total)
Last but not the least, melatonin is a natural hormone that can also come as a supplement, promoting more extended and quality sleep. It's used by many people who have poor work schedules or travel to different time zones. What's excellent about melatonin is that there are minimal side effects and is useful as long as you do NOT use your phone or view any blue light when you're about to sleep!
- Fall asleep faster with our fast dissolve melatonin, an over the counter sleep aid supplement*
- Melatonin comes in many forms, including gummies, chocolates, capsules, chewables, drops, and liquid
- Carlyle Melatonin is a Non-GMO Gluten Free supplement that supports better rest and more relaxation*
- Get Enough Sleep: Sleep enhances immune defense and a lack of it can affect the immune system; Studies have shown how...
- Sleep Strengthens Your Immune System: Research has shown the importance of sleep in strengthening your immune system,...
- Drug Free: Natrol Melatonin is a nighttime sleep aid that assists with occasional sleeplessness; It is non-habit...
Wrapping It Up
Sure, your doctor can recommend you a ton of prescribed medicine to help with your insomnia, but is that the right solution? Fortunately, there are natural remedies you can follow that have no side effects or painful symptoms. Plus, they are easy to find!
Through using herbal remedies for insomnia, you won't have to worry about becoming dependent or spending a ton of money on other treatments and doctor's appointments. So don't wait any longer and try any of these remedies today for better sleep.
Last update on 2021-06-22 at 07:16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API