Consumption of whey protein has dramatically increased in the recent years due to the unique flavors, ease of use, and the muscle-building benefits produced by this unique protein source. Many individuals seeking to build a powerful yet lean physique know about the best whey protein drinks that are available, but with so many choices on the market, it can be a confusing task to zero in on the best whey protein.
In this article, we’ll be exploring the top 10 best whey protein drinks. This informational guide can help you find a whey protein that will suit your tastes and budget while offering the most effective protein you can use to help fuel your body.
1. What is Whey Protein?
Whey protein is derived from cow’s milk, and for many years whey was thought of as the leftover byproduct of cheese making. Now scientists and bodybuilders alike know it is one of the most bio available protein sources available to consumers, so the popularity of drinkable whey has skyrocketed. Due to your body’s ability to absorb this protein extremely quickly, it is the protein of choice for post workout shakes used to rebuild and refuel the body as quickly as possible.
2. What Does Whey Protein Do?
Whey protein aids in your body’s ability to rebuild tissue after intense workouts and plays a role in almost every function and tissue of the body. Your body's tissues primarily use protein and fat to heal and grow, so these amino acids and fatty acids are legitimately the building blocks of your body. Having an adequate amount of protein allows the body to synthesize new muscle tissue, create new skin, hair, and nails, regenerate the lining of your digestive system, create many neurotransmitters and hormones, and much more.
3. How Does Whey Protein Work?
Whey protein is a complete protein source, meaning it has all the essential amino acids that your body cannot synthesize on its own. Your body uses these amino acids in almost every tissue and function of the body. By consuming a source of these essential amino acids that get absorbed easily by the body, you can supercharge your body’s natural ability to heal and repair tissue.
4. Where Can You Buy The Best Whey Protein?
One great thing about using whey protein for your protein source of choice is that you can purchase it at a wide variety of locations. Many gym-goers will buy their whey protein at supplement stores such as GNC but the costs and time of going to these stores can be higher than online retailers such as Amazon. Amazon and other online retailers offer a wide selection of formulations and flavors at great prices that get shipped right to your door within just a few days.
5. Price Range
One other fantastic benefits you get from using the best whey protein products is the affordable prices you can find. You can purchase many of these whey protein products for as low as around $5, while other products range as high as around $30. Building an impressive physique and healthy body need not involve expensive products.
How We Reviewed
We reviewed the whey in this article with the following criteria in mind; Pros & Cons of the drink, the taste of the protein, the availability of the drink and the cost associated with the drink. We’ve done our best to balance these factors and recommend only the top ten best whey protein options available to consumers.
What We Reviewed
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
- BSN SYNTHA-6 Whey Protein Powder
- BPI Sports ISO HD Whey Protein Isolate and Hydrolysate
- MuscleTech NitroTech Protein Powder
- Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder
- Natural Force® Organic Whey Protein Powder
- Cellucor Whey Protein Isolate Powder
- MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder
- Dymatize Elite 100% Whey Protein
- Body Nutrition Trutein Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Packaging may vary - New look, with the same trusted Quality!
- GOLD STANDARD 100% WHEY BLEND – 24g blended protein consisting of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and...
- OVER 5G OF BCAAS ‚Äì help build lean and strong muscles with BCAAs
Optimum nutrition is a trusted brand in the fitness industry for producing potent, great-tasting products that the company labels “Gold Standard” for a reason.
- RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS : BSN broke through the whey protein flavor barrier once and for all with the introduction of...
- 22G PROTEIN MATRIX : consisting of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, calcium caseinate, micellar casein,...
- 2-3G SUGAR : while the taste is mind blowing, Syntha-6 contains 2-3g of sugar per serving depending on flavor
The BSN company has become famous for their NO Xplode pre-workout products, but they offer a complete line of products to aid gym-goers and bodybuilders alike.
- 30 gram of whey protein per scoop: MuscleTech NitroTech Pure Whey Protein delivers 30 gram of Whey Protein, sourced...
- Build more strength than with regular whey protein: Contains a research proven 3 gram dose of creatine monohydrate,...
- Better macronutrient profile: Doesn't pack the extra sugar and carbs you'll see in other protein powders with only 4...
MuscleTech is one of the leading brands in bodybuilding supplements and offers many well-reviewed products in the industry. This protein delivers 30 grams of protein per serving, making it a great value to the user.
- Vitamin C and Zinc Provides Immune Support along with Vitamin E
- 100% WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE - a high-quality protein source providing 25g per serving to support muscle building and...
- ZERO/LOW CARB OPTIONS- helps for those watching their calorie intakes
Isopure is a great company and one of the few zero carb protein powders on the market. This product is great for people on ketogenic or low carb diets, and you can use it as a substitution in many recipes to make low carb alternatives to traditionally carb-heavy items.
- 🏆 BEST GRASS FED ORGANIC WHEY PROTEIN POWDER – Impeccable quality, delicious taste, and only 3 clean ingredients....
- 🔬 LAB TESTED FOR TOXINS – Every batch of Natural Force Organic Whey Protein is produced in a cGMP certified...
- 🐮 ALL NATURAL A2 PROTEIN FROM HAPPY, HEALTHY COWS – Natural Force Organic Whey Protein is made using the milk of...
The Natural Force Organic Whey Protein Powder is a great option for those that pay special attention to the sourcing of their food and supplements. This is one of the few options on the market that uses organic, and grass-fed ingredients and keep the number of ingredient limited and free of items you can’t pronounce.
Cellucor is a leading supplement brand in the bodybuilding industry, and this protein powder offers a great taste and a good value while coming from a trusted brand.
- UNIVERSITY-STUDY FORMULATED: MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder was created for athletes who demand optimized recovery,...
- AWARD-WINNING TASTE: Our essential whey protein powder mixes easily and goes great with almond milk, water, milk,...
- 5 PROTEIN SOURCES: Our isolate whey powder contains 25 g of protein from 5 unique protein sources. They include both...
MusclePharm is a trusted brand in supplements, and this protein powder is a great option for those looking for a good value for their money. The award-winning taste, great value, and thoughtful additions such as potassium and digestive enzymes make this a top choice if you don’t have egg or soy allergies.
- 5 lbs of Dymatize Elite Whey Rich Chocolate Protein Powder (63 Servings)
- 5.5g of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) to help build muscle and aid in recovery; 2.7g of L-Leucine to support...
- Good pre, post-workout, or anytime for high-quality protein supplementation
Dymatize’s Elite 100% Whey Protein is one of the best selling protein powders online and offers a great taste, a multitude of flavors to choose from, and a good value for the user. The lower sodium and calorie count, and higher potassium make this powder a competitive option.
- Low carb & Keto Friendly It mixes easily without lumps.
- Whey digests quickly and is rich in branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) which plays a major role in promoting muscle...
- For Muscle Gain- Research has consistently confirmed whey protein's ability to promote muscle mass and recovery.
Body Nutrition Trutein Chocolate Peanut Butter is another very popular choice for buyers on Amazon, most likely due to its low-calorie count, a mix of protein sources, and a large number of flavors from which to choose.
If you're looking for a zero carb option, the best whey protein for you would be the Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder. This would be a great option for those on ketogenic or other low-carb diets that are counting every carb, and you can use it as a substitute ingredient in many recipes so they will contain fewer carbohydrates.
If you’re looking for an affordable option that will fit in a limited budget, the MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder could be a good option for you. It contains egg and soy, but if you aren’t allergic to either of those items, you get an affordable and great tasting product. This makes it one of the best whey protein drinks you’ll find.
In conclusion, you can easily incorporate any of the best whey protein options in this list into your healthy lifestyle, and help build a powerful and lean physique. Using the most bio available protein source for your body will not only prevent you from experiencing inadequate recovery but also fuel many of the function of your body that contribute to your overall day-to-day health.