What Is A Brazilian Butt Lift And Does It Work?
What exactly is a Brazilian butt lift? It is a procedure with the goal of making the patient’s buttocks is more in line with his or her (yes his or her) body. The patient ideally ends up with a more prominent and attractive rear end, after all is said and done.
For this to happen, the surgeon removes fat from the patient’s body by way of liposuction from the following areas:
The surgeon makes a tiny incision where the fat is located and then inserts a tube. He or she then uses a number of methods, including vibration, ultrasonic waves, manual motion air or even lasers to get rid of the fat before they are aspirated gently.
Liposuction only needs what is called local anesthesia, though the doctor might have the patient go on sedation or general anesthesia especially if he or she has more fat than usual or is nervous about the procedure.
Once removed, the fat cells get purified with a centrifuge. It is only the best quality tissue that the doctor uses for injection into the patient’s buttocks with small tubes known as cannulas. They are injected at several different depths to get a natural feel and look.
How the patient receives the injections depend on the results he or she wants. Generally speaking, though, smaller injections results in a more realistic, better-looking buttocks.
This will give the patient a fuller and rounder behind looking more natural. It looks so because it uses the patient’s actual tissues, unlike synthetics or butt implants. The whole procedure can typically be done in about two hours.
After the procedure, the patient’s tissue and skin need time to heal to get excellent results. Patients also follow up with their surgeon afterward and heed their instructions.
After the butt lift surgery, the patient can feel disoriented and groggy, particularly after going under general anesthesia or sedation. The buttocks will probably be bruised and swollen afterward too.
Before going home, you must do the following:
- Learn how to care for your wounds.
- This includes where to place gauze and emptying your surgical drains.
- Learning how to put on a compression garment
- This covers where liposuction, fat transfer and incisions took place.
- Walk and stand comfortably.
- Sit and lie down without having to put any pressure on your butt.
- This could possibly interfere with your end result.
- One thing to do is to put pillows under your thighs
- Fill your medications.
Timeline for Recovery
Take off work and have someone take care of you. Showering is permitted two days after the procedure, so long as you take your compression garment off.
You will be going to your plastic surgeon’s office about a week after the butt lift is done so the doctor can take a look at your buttocks and take out your drains (as long as they’re not collecting too much fluid).
Sutures will likely be taken out, depending on the healing process. You cannot smoke, consume alcohol or take over the counter medications like aspirin. Patients typically go back to the office after a week, but you might need help around the house for another week.
You might be able to travel after a week, depending on the type of procedure you have and how you are feeling.
You can go back to regular activities, save for stretching, squatting and more rigorous exercise. Additionally, it’s possible you could cease wearing your compression garment and start sitting on your buttocks. But this all depends on guidance from your surgeon.
You might also be able to start driving as long as you can start sitting on a pillow in your vehicle and have finished taking painkillers.
You can bathe in a tub and go swimming again.
Most inflammation and discoloration should be gone. Most patients should be healed.
You can now expose your buttocks to the sun. Before this point, you should avoid doing so or wear SPF 30 sunscreen.
Brazilian Butt Lift Benefits
One benefit of a Brazilian butt lift is that gives one a more natural appearance. It also has a lower risk of rejection than that of fillers or implants.
Getting a Brazilian butt lift also gives one a chance to plump the buttocks while at the same time remove stubborn fats from your body.
It is not as invasive as a traditional butt lift or butt implants, thereby giving one a simpler recovery.
Brazilian Butt Lift Statistics
- 80 percent – is the increase of butt lift procedures between 2000-2013.
- This is according to the ASPS, or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
- 3,465 and 274 – The number of women and men respectively that had buttocks surgeries in 2013, according to ASPS.
- 51 percent – Denotes the percentage of butt lift patients over the age of 40 in 2009. This is according t o the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- 33 percent were 30-39 and only 15 percent were 20-29.
- 32 percent – the percentage of butt lifts done in West North Central and East North Central US. according to the same 2009 report referenced above.
- Butt lift procedures are popular in the following states:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- Butt lift procedures are popular in the following states:
- 30 percent – the percentage of plastic surgeons that do butt procedures, according to a 2013 ASPS. This is up 11 percent from 2012.
- 58 percent – the increase of buttock procedures between 2012-2013, according to ASPS.
Fillers for Buttocks
- A number of hyaluronic acid products, which naturally occurs throughout the body’s connective tissue. They include the following:
- Belotero Balance
- Radiesse – a gel made up of water and tiny calcium spheres. Like the products above, it can last for one year.
- ArteFill – this is made of tiny balls of collagen and PMMA, polymethylmethacrylate. This product can last in excess of five years.
- Sculptra – This is comprised of poly-L-lactic acid. Sculptra can last in excess of two years.
How did buttock augmentation become popular?
In addition to the numbers mentioned above, almost 320,000 buttock augmentations were performed in 2015, up 30 percent from 2014. This is according to the International Society of Aesthetic and Cosmetic Surgery.
Celebrities like Nicki Minaj and Kim Kardashian who have had buttock augmentation procedures may also lend an explanation as to why they are becoming more and more popular.
They are especially popular in warmer cultures.
Is The Brazilian Butt Lift Safe?
There are risks with any surgery. It’s important to find a surgeon that’s both competent and qualified. One of the biggest risks with a buttocks procedure is injecting silicone into the butt. This has been outlawed several countries because it can cause infection and possibly death.
The use of silicone is prohibited for use for buttocks procedures by the FDA.
The Developer of ‘Brazilian Butt Lift’
The Brazilian Butt Lift was developed by the renowned Brazilian Ivo Pitanguy, who died in 2016 at the age of 93. He carried the Olympic torch through Rio the day before his death.
In addition to developing the Brazilian butt lift procedure, he made plastic surgery available to the less fortunate for body abnormalities, etc.