Lemons are those bright, yellow, citrus fruits that provide the body with vitamin C and other beneficial nutrients. People do not typically eat lemons sliced as they do with oranges. Instead, they squeeze the tart juice onto foods or into beverages. However, you can enjoy the benefits of this fruit simply by drinking it in warm water. So what are the upsides from a health point of view? Check out the list below to find out.
1. This water is a digestive aid that also helps the body to eliminate waste. It even assists your bowels in properly processing the waste to prevent both diarrhea and constipation. Drink it before breakfast each day to start your day off right. You can then give your body another boost in the middle of the afternoon with another glass of lemon water.
2. Lemon water is a low-calorie, nutritious thirst quencher. The juice from one lemon provides less than 25 calories and of course, water has 0 calories. Drinking warm lemon water throughout your day will help you eliminate sugary drinks that are high in calories. This could help you to eliminate hundreds of empty calories from your daily diet, which will lead to weight loss.
3. Another benefit is boosting the immune system by providing a healthy dose of vitamin C to it. When the body becomes stressed, it depletes vitamin C. It is easy to drain your system of it if you do not replenish it. This can impact your ability to fight off illness.
4. Warm lemon water cleanses your body because it improves enzyme in the liver, this helps to flush toxins from the body. The liver's health also receives a boost from this water. Your liver plays a vital role in your body's health. This is an important to keep in mind and motivation to continue consuming lemon water on a regular basis. This water improves the bile production that helps the body process fatty foods. This also is why lemon water is part of certain detox plans.
5. Lemons are a great source of potassium. This mineral regulates blood pressure, benefits the heart and nourishes nerve and brain cells. A deficiency of potassium in the system will lead to certain health complications so it is important to make sure you consume enough potassium on a daily basis.
6. Lemon water also contains pectin fiber that improves colon health and the health of your entire body because of its antibacterial nature. Make sure not to remove all the pulp from your lemon juice to reap the rewards of the pectin fiber.
7. Lemon water is an effective home remedy for the common cold. This is because it provides a high level of vitamin C. It also is ideal for clearing phlegm in your throat that often occurs with colds and other respiratory conditions.
8. Lemon water neutralizes uric acid in your system. This occurs because it is effective for increasing the digestive juices that also have the power to lower the acidity of your system. Lemons also stimulate the body's production of calcium carbonate that has the ability to neutralize uric acid. Gout, joint pain and other health issues occur when there is an excess of uric acid in the system. You prevent these problems just by adding lemon water to your diet each day.
9. Give your body a boost in energy by drinking warm lemon water. Lemons provide electrolytes to the body that help the body produce energy. Hydration is another part of increasing the body's energy and this tangy water will improve your body's hydration.
10. Heartburn relief is possible from for some of the same reasons that this water reduces uric acid. This water increases bicarbonate when it increases the digestive juices and this relieves your heartburn. Just drink a warm glass when your stomach is suffering heartburn.
11. Because it is such an effective resource for vitamin C, lemon water is a preventative for scurvy. Scurvy causes many health issues such as gum disease, general weakness and anemia just to mention a few. This condition happens when the body is deficient in vitamin C. You lower your risk of scurvy dramatically just by making sure your diet includes adequate quantities for vitamin C daily.
12. Lemons contain antioxidants such as vitamin C that fight off free radicals to reduce the damage they can do to the body. Environmental toxins, UV exposure and more can stimulate the growth of free radicals that then cause such things as wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging on the skin. Drinking lemon water combats the free radicals from within the body and this leads to your skin looking more youthful.
13. Lemons have an alkalizing effect on your body. The ideal pH level for your body is about 7.4, which is slightly alkaline. This is the level at which the body functions at its optimum efficiency and where it is not at risk for certain health issues that can occur when the body becomes too acidic or alkaline in nature. Since lemons provide both ascorbic and citric acid to the body, they help the body maintain its ideal pH level.
14. The final reason for using lemon water is the fact that it eliminates bad breath. Rinse your mouth with this water to remove bacteria from your tongue that forms as white film. Bad breath comes as much from the tongue as other areas of the mouth. This water will also help to combat gingivitis and provide relief for toothaches. After rinsing your mouth with this water, avoid brushing your teeth for an hour or two to allow the water to do its job.
You can have all of these benefits just by adding a glass or two of warm lemon water to your diet on a daily basis. It is always best to use freshly squeezed juice.